Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Show Me Da Money

Everyone who reads me knows that I am very involved in my church and church activities. With that involvement comes sitting on committees and having to deal with lots of people about lots of things.

Every year, for the past 20, I have gone on retreat with about 300-400 other people -- mostly teenagers. For about the last 15 years or so I have been a part of the steering committee for this retreat. We've gone through many changes over the years but the core group of us still remains. This past Fall, one of our group members unexpectedly passed away. He was the treasurer. He did all sorts of things we didn't know until we had to find out for ourselves. It has been a learning experience for all of us to say the least.

When we opened the bank account a million years ago, I was one of the signers. No big deal....he kept everyone informed. It ran like a well oiled machine. Until now....We have someone who stepped up to be treasurer. NICE! We thought everything would be taken care of. I'm still on the account.

You wouldn't believe me if I told you that over the past several months I have called her over 50 times, sent about just as many emails, arranged a few meetings and spoken with her daughter about 10 times. Guess what??? I have yet to have contact with her. I don't know how much money is in our account. I don't know the status of the old account. I don't know if the offering money was ever sent to the intended recipient. I don't know who submitted receipts for reimbursement. Hell, I don't even know the stinking account number.

So, I raised my concerns at the last meeting we had. They were shocked when they heard all of the things that have been going on. I told them in no uncertain terms that I WOULD NOT continue this way with my name on the account and if they didn't do something about it quickly, we were going to have a serious problem.

We shall see where this ends......I should have known that this no-communication thing would be a problem based on previous experiences.

I'll keep ya posted on this one...it's going to be a doozie!

2 comments:

LERMONTOV said...

I'd make a good treasurer - just fwd me the account details!

Fijufic said...

Get your name removed and while you are at it make sure you have an accounting of this account.

I'm worried.

Bobby