Saturday, January 24, 2009

Blind Date

I recently received a phone call from a long-time friend of mine. I used to be her supervisor in my former life. She is an older woman (who could be my grandma) and I have always had a great respect for her. We still keep in touch and occasionally meet for dinner. From time to time the subject of me not having a "significant other" arises. She called to ask me if I had one. When I said no, she said, "I have someone for you."

Here is how she describes him: tall, hysterically funny, high level security clearance, makes his own wine and beer. He's 44 and never been married. I am so glad she didn't say "He's got a great personality" because we all know what that means.

She said that she hasn't said anything to him yet because she wanted to see what I would say. Even though blind dates are weird and awkward, if he calls, I'm going. At least it will be a night out, right? :)

I'll keep you posted!

6 comments:

LERMONTOV said...

Definitely go! They are only as awkward as you make them - if he is a tool you can split - if he rocks your world you can drug him!
Luck

Bagpuss said...

i will call you part way through the date incase you need rescuing.

BenB said...

Sounds like fun - maybe. lol.
Good luck if it does happen!

springbaby said...

Lerm -- Thanks for putting it into perspective! Any suggestions on how to split?

Rach -- you really are my friend, aren't you? Let's hope I hear the phone.

Ben -- Fun, maybe is a great way to put it!

becomingkate said...

I've been on blind dates. They're interesting. Good luck!

JaneEllen said...

Hey, at least you can get out on a date. I am jealous!

The worse that can happen is that you spend the evening with a total stranger, smiling on the outside and filtering the real conversation streaming through your mind - which is the one we all want to hear.

JaneEllen