Monday, January 19, 2009

MLK




I admire this man. He spoke words of truth. He spoke words that people across the nation needed to hear. He spoke of growth, of life, of equality.

While in Atlanta a few years back, I visited the King Center for Peace. I saw his tomb. I walked past the church where his father was a Pastor. I saw his childhood home. I saw the "carriage" that carried his casket through the streets.

My father and my godfather were best friends. They both grew up in the City of Chester. One from the Greek neighborhood and one from the Black neighborhood. They were inseparable. They went to school together, they played sports together, they both went to Michigan State, they both stayed in the same dorm, they traveled together across the state for basketball games. They experienced what it was like to be discriminated against. My father, even though he was 'allowed' to sit at the counter and be served, didn't. He was loyal to my godfather. Even though Dad was 'allowed' to live in the whites only dorm, he didn't. He roomed with my godfather.

Love, loyalty, compassion, equality -- MLK preached it. Dad and Godfather lived it.

Our 44th President will be inaugurated tomorrow. This is a groundbreaking event that will make history. As we embark on history in the making, I hope that we can put aside the differences that keep us apart and weaken us and recognized the similarities that can draw us together and make us stronger.

1 comment:

LERMONTOV said...

It will be televised over here at 4am - I look forward to seeing it