Sunday, January 18, 2009

Sunday Musings

It's Sunday and I'm gearing up for what is going to be a busy day. I'm sitting in front of the tv with a hot steaming cup of coffee and watching Animal Planet and some show about talented pets. Why? I have no idea. BUT, it got me thinking...............

There is such love between the pets and their owners. It's unconditional. That's what love should be. I wonder why people can't show unconditional love to each other? Isn't that what God shows us? It doesn't matter how badly we mess up, He is always there to forgive and show us the right path.

Speaking of showing the right path ... I took my youth group kids ice skating last night. I have never ice skated in my life -- still haven't! :) Anyhoo...I was sitting rinkside freezing. I was wearing my warm coat, plenty of layers, and gloves. I was still cold. Then, one by one, they skated over and said, "Jill, will you hold my coat? I'm hot." So, of course, I said yes then wrapped myself up in them. Now that's love. I was warm and they were having fun.

As I was sitting there, I was texting our other youth advisor who wasn't able to join us. We were talking about where I was sitting and the fact that if I had been sitting anywhere else, the kids would have had a fit. They are so attached to us and love that we're always around wherever they are. Wow, I bet their parents would be floored!

About an hour after sitting there, I noticed a little girl skating around. She had on a helmet and a cute little figure skating outfit. She was 4. God love her, she was out there doing her thing. Her name was on her helmet and it was the same name as one of my girls. I mentioned it to her and they instantly became friends. She and another one of the girls each grabbed the little one's hands and skated around the rink with her for quite a while. Turns out that little one plays hockey and last night was her first time in figure skates.

I was so proud of my girls. Even though little one didn't need help, she wanted them to take her around the rink and they did. When it was time for little one to leave, her father gave her money to give to my girls as a thank you for taking her around. They refused and the dad insisted. I stepped in at that point and told them that we were there with our church youth group and thanked him but again refused. At first he looked insulted but then we smiled at him and he knew that the girls spent time with his daughter not for any monetary reward but for the sheer joy of showing love to others.

And so it is with God. He gives us companionship, grace, and love. Not because he wants a monetary reward but because he wants to show us what unconditional love is. I challenge you today to show unconditional love to someone. Not because you want something materialistic in return but because you want the feeling of joy knowing that you gave something more powerful than money.

Peace and Blessings to you.
Jill

2 comments:

LERMONTOV said...

G'day
Good to see you again
I need to catch up on all your posts as i thought that you were MIA
L

springbaby said...

L -- so glad to see you, again, too! I had a hell of a time finding you but I just followed the trail of empty bottles and popcorn. I have a few more of your posts to catch up on also.